Disclaimer for any males (or females) who do not want to hear me talk about “that time of the month,” go ahead and scroll down to the recipe haha. You won’t want to miss this one! ;-P
Cravings, bloating, fatigue, cramps, it just sucks. My period symptoms are pretty moderate the majority of the time, except for my chocolate cravings! Sometimes they sneak up on me like suddenly feeling the bottom of an empty bag of SkinnyPop. I dwell on all the possibilities of how I ended up with chocolate creases in my lips and stains on my shirt. I brainstorm, usually out loud to my patient boyfriend – maybe I haven’t been getting enough protein or calories or maybe I’ve suddenly lost all control over my hand to mouth muscles! My panic usually subsides a day or two later when my favorite Aunt Flow arrives and it all makes sense!
This week my symptoms have been debilitating. Either that or I’m actually getting s*ck (can’t say the word or it may happen!). I have felt light-headed, exhausted, woozy, and every ime I’ve tried to exercise the symptoms have gotten worse :(. I’ve never experienced anything quite this intense during my cycle, so I’m starting to think I’m actually fighting a bug. Ugh, being sick is like making protein pancakes only to find I have no peanut butter to put on top! The worst!
To cure my cravings and down my sickness-blues in the healthiest way possible, I decided to whip up a mugcake. I knew just adding chocolate chips to a vanilla base wouldn’t do the trick. This thing had to have chocolate in every bite! Oh man did this do the trick. During the five minutes it took to eat this bad boy all my woes melted away. I got lost in the crunch of the walnuts, the melty chocolate chips, and rich, fluffy cake. So lost, I nearly forget the thing was actually good for me! Knowing my treat was packed with protein, antioxidants, and omega-3s made it taste all that much sweeter.
Double Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
1 scoop all-natural, organic whey or vegan chocolate protein powder
1 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 to 1 tbsp cocoa powder (depending on how rich you want it to taste!)
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 mashed banana
1/4 cup egg whites
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Microwave banana and coconut oil in a microwavable safe dish until melted.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl except for walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Add egg whites and almond milk to melted coconut oil and banana mixture.
- Slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry until fully combined. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into a mug greased with cooking spray.
- Microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes or until the center is cooked through (you can test with a tooth pick or knife).
- Let sit for one minute then place a plate on the top of the mug. Carefully flip over so the cake falls out into the plate.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
Do you get bad “time of the month symptoms?” What do you do to relieve them? Vent to me in the comment box below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog, pin the photos, and/or share this post if you liked it! 🙂
Health and happiness,
On Instagram?! Stay up to date with my journey at eminspandex.